Thursday, April 13, 2006

Disintermediation? right here.

Back when Ezra did his big Gore article, I wrote a response about how disintermediation (candidates taking their message straight to the people in a way that gets around the media filter, often by using the internet) wasn't anything particularly astonishing or unique to Gore.

JRE-TV is John Edwards' attempt at disintermediation, and it's pretty nicely done. The first episode is about John Edwards going to San Francisco to rally the hotel workers' union. There's some nice surprises, including Danny Glover and some old-time Bush-bashing. I'm looking forward to more of this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, if only Dire Straits could only re-write "Money for Nothing": "I want my JRE-TV!!!"

Anonymous said...

Don't you think this sort of thing preaches to the already-converted? I don't know much about political strategy but how does this create momentum for Edwards?

Neil Sinhababu said...

You're right, quietstorm. The only audience that you get with this stuff are union folks (who are mostly a separate group from the netroots) and Danny Glover fans. As I said, disintermediation isn't as huge a deal as people are making it out to be.

I'm looking forward to a video of Edwards supporting censure (which he does). Showing that to the Kossack masses would actually be a momentum-gainer.