Saturday, January 13, 2007

Did you guys write this song for me?

I'm listening to the Decemberists' "Yankee Bayonet" right now (you can download it from this guy), and I have this eerie feeling that the song was written to satisfy basically every lyrical preference I have. I like folk songs where girls sing about their soldier lads fallen in battle, and folk songs where the soldiers sing about the girls back home, and this is both at once. I'm on record highlighting the poignancy of references to death in which becoming food for scavengers is discussed, and the girl says to her dead man, "But you are in the ground with the wolves and the weevils / All a'chew on your bones so dry." I like songs that tell stories with mild supernatural content, and the guy appears to be a ghost, or at least a dead guy singing. Furthermore, it's a really nice duet, all pretty and acoustic, and I'm a wuss. A happy wuss.

No comments: