Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"Hooray for trees!" he gibbar'd

One of the things I want to do before I leave Texas and our big library is read up on the recent history of the cognitivism / noncognitivism debate. I'm talking about stuff like the Simon Blackburn vs. Bob Hale exchanges of the 1980s, though I don't have enough of a grip on the area to know if that's the most important stuff out there. (In particular, I don't know what the most important Blackburn texts are.) But in general, guys like Gibbard and Blackburn versus their best opponents is the debate I'm interested in.

Do people have any suggestions for what I should make sure to read? (Or for what I should make sure not to read, if you're so minded.)

While I'm at it, I'll plug Andy Egan's paper on Blackburn, which seemed really good when I read it, though again I'm not quite strong enough on the ins and outs of Blackburn to know what to say.

No comments: